[tabs type=”accordion” collapsible=”true” heightstyle=”content”]
Timber Cove is situated on the northern end of the beautiful Sonoma County coast. The subdivision was created from over 800 acres that was split into 274 lots in the early 60’s with an average lot size of 1.5 to 2.0 acres in size. Seclusion, privacy, and architectural blending to the land were the objectives.
This community has been long renowned for its many excellent diving spots, bluff top beauty and nearby hiking trails. There are four parks within minutes: Fort Ross, Stillwater Cove, Salt Point State Park, and the Kruse Reserve with its hundreds of acres of redwoods and twenty foot high rhododendrons. Wildflowers and wildlife abound at Timber Cove all year.
Timber Cove offers a unique opportunity to live in an unhurried lifestyle. An Architectural Review Committee with a design philosophy that reflects a response to the natural environment and coastal history reviews home designs.
All roads are private and maintained by the Home Owners Association. Timber Cove Water District supplies water and each parcel requires private septic systems.
[tabname]The Sea Ranch[/tabname]
The northern-most 10 miles of the Sonoma County coast is internationally known as The Sea Ranch, a carefully created community of approximately 1680 homes on 3,500 acres. There are a total of 2289 total lots on The Sea Ranch, with approximately 609 still undeveloped as of Fall, 2004.
The concept of the development can be summed up in the developer’s motto of “living lightly on the land.” People joined the natural environment with an absolute minimum impact. Overgrazed lands were rested and the natural processes allowed to take their course. Indigenous grasses, shrubs and trees were planted where needed and the entire Ranch became a wildlife and game refuge. Offsite improvements have been designed to permit a minimum of grading and earth moving; utilities are underground; population density has been kept low; and carefully controlled residential design permits homes to blend into, and become part of, the natural landscape. Mechanisms were devised to insure that development would be carried out as planned, and that there would be stewardship to carry on the conservation and enhancement of the environment.
Award-winning homes with natural wood exteriors and low-profile roofs blend with the land and native plant landscaping. Grassland meadows, secluded beaches and rows of Cypress trees surround the expansive Sea Ranch development. Amenities include swimming pools, tennis courts, an 18-hole golf course, security patrol, hiking trails, an equestrian facility and a private airstrip. A non-profit corporation of property owners, known as The Sea Ranch Association, is responsible for administering the ongoing affairs of The Sea Ranch.
Originally envisioned as a vacation community, The Sea Ranch’s charm has caused over one third (and growing!) of the property owners to make it their full-time, permanent residence. Since The Sea Ranch does not have service amenities other than fire and police protection, Gualala has become the region’s center for support services.
For more information on how you can acquire property in The Sea Ranch area, contact the leading Real Estate Team on the coast. Contact Kennedy & Associates at (707) 884-9000 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Kashia Pomo Indians, first settlers of the area, called it, Wallala, “water coming down place”. It is an appropriate name, as the Gualala River empties into the Pacific Ocean. Kayak and canoe rentals are available for touring the river, stopping at quiet beaches for picnicking or basking in the sun, and catching glimpses of osprey, waterfowl, and river otters. Two campgrounds are located on either side of the river, and there are beaches on the river offering public access for swimming, picnicking, launching of private, non-motorized watercraft, and in-season fishing.
A serene residential community punctuated by rugged coastline and majestic redwoods. The village of Gualala is the ideal choice for many homeowners. Situated at the southernmost edge of Mendocino County along Shoreline Highway One and perched on the bluffs overlooking the Gualala River and the Pacific Ocean beyond. Gualala serves as the commercial center of the region, providing many of the goods and services to northern Sonoma and southern Mendocino county.
Once a bustling logging town, Gualala now has a tourism-driven economy offering a wealth of goods and services to its residences and coastal visitors along with a variety of lodging establishments, restaurants, supermarkets, bakery, and numerous shops and galleries. Medical services, pharmacy, a full-service bank with ATM, Post Office (95445), and bus service south and north through Mendocino Transit (MTA) are all available here. While Gualala is an unincorporated community, the Gualala Municipal Advisory Council serves to influence Gualala’s growth and development acting as an advisory board to the Mendocino County Planning Department on permit issues within the town plan area.
The beautiful Gualala River runs to the sea right in front of the village, and is home to river otter, osprey, egret, heron and numerous species of fauna and flora. The Gualala River is noted nation-wide for its steelhead fishery. When the word goes out that the fish are running, the fishing enthusiasts come from great distances to try their luck. “Nature” abounds with deer and wild turkeys crossing Highway One near downtown Gualala. Wild pigs, and even a mountain lion or two have been spotted along with an occasional bear near town.
Gualala lies within the “Banana Belt”, a micro-climate marine layer involving about five miles of coastline from Gualala thru Anchor Bay. While the wind blows onshore for the rest of the coast , the sky’s tend to be clearer and the fog keeps from drifting in. An “Indian Summer” condition brings warm days to this portion of the coast from late August through late October. For more information on acquiring your own place in paradise contact the leading Real Estate Team on the coast. Contact Kennedy & Associates at (707) 884-9000 or email at email@example.com.
The Hamlet of Anchor Bay is located along scenic Highway 1, sometimes called the Shoreline Highway. The village enjoys beautiful coastal views from a location perched atop cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean. This unincorporated area just north of Gualala has a population of about 200 and is comprised of scattered homes, forested regions, a small strip shopping area and a volunteer firehouse.
A sewer system and community water system service the Anchor Bay Subdivision and is located up the hill and behind the commercial center of town.
Anchor Bay Beach is one of the “jewels” on the coast. This alluring white sand beach is situated right in the heart of the Banana Belt and enjoys some of the best weather on the coast. It’s “tucked-in” location between the headlands to the north and south make this a favorite of many locals. Small boats and inflatable rafts can be launched, day use and over night camping are available.
Off shore you look upon Fish Rock Island home of sea lions & seals that spend most of their days frolicking in the kelp beds near the beach. Crashing waves, migrating whales, shorebirds and sea life abound. Small fishing boats harboring in the cove during the summer evenings create a beautiful twinkle of lights in the bay.
Point Arena is the smallest incorporated city in Mendocino County and is known for its turn-of-the-century buildings housing galleries, restaurants, shops and public library.
With a population of around 440 people Point Arena is governed by a City Council, has a city-managed sewer system and is serviced by a privately owned water system. A branch of the Redwood Coast Medical Services (RCMS), located in the downtown area, offers medical and dental care.
The Point Arena Theater, located in the center of town, is a restored art-deco style theater that produces live shows, music, comedy, dance, theatrical works and first run movies. The small town charm “glows” right out the front doors of this classic building.
North of Point Arena large dairy herds roam the farms and hillsides. Sea cliffs to the west and Redwood and Douglas fir forests to the east boarder picturesque pastures.
The Point Arena Municipal Pier hosts a boat launch crane, free pier fishing and access to an acclaimed surfing spot. Dining and gift shops are also available.
Schooner Gulch State Beach and headland preserve is one of the most scenic locations along the Mendocino Coast. Located just a few miles south of the City of Point Arena, this stunning beach offers fishing, picnicking, surfing and is a magnificent setting for watching sunsets. This beach is a true natural wonder. Visit when the tide is lower than 1.5 feet and you’ll see the “rock alleys” with wonderful tide-pools.
The trailhead is located on the Westside of the highway, the southern trail leading to Schooner Gulch Beach and the Northern trail to Bowling Ball Beach.
The Point Arena Lighthouse and Museum is set in a spectacular location on the north coast. For over 100 years lighthouse keepers have climbed 115 feet to the top of one of the tallest lighthouses on the Pacific Coast. The Point Arena Lighthouse Keepers Association, Inc. offers guided tours of the light station and self guided tours of the grounds on a daily basis. The gift shop has lighthouse gifts and clothing, souvenirs and custom made jewelry. There are comfortable accommodations available as vacation rentals, giving the opportunity to explore the coastline.
Located about 7 miles north of Point Arena is the small town of Manchester. This is an area of rich grazing lands with herds of cattle and sheep, which add to the pastoral coastal scenery. The pounding surf, flashing of the lighthouse, birds and other wildlife dominate the views.
Manchester currently includes a Post Office, an Elementary School, the Garcia Grange (named for the nearby Garcia River) and a terrific store that includes building supplies and groceries.
Manchester State Park is located north of town with over 700 acres of beach, sand dunes, and nearly 18,000 feet of ocean frontage. It’s a wonderful beach for hiking and picnicking.
The community of Irish Beach is located about 35 minutes North of Gualala sitting above Manchester State Beach. The subdivision is comprised of about 450 home sites with its own water company & on site septic systems. An architectural committee reviews home designs with a variety of home styles approved.
Residents enjoy one of the finest, longest and most uncrowded beaches in Northern California! The Irish Beach Improvement Club, a voluntary homeowners association, maintains picnic grounds and the gated private access road to the beach from the subdivision.
In addition to the beach (it’s possible to walk for six uninterrupted miles during the summer) and a fishing pond, there are miles of quiet roads and paths for walking.
Homes and lots in Irish Beach are positioned on ocean bluffs overlooking a magnificent shoreline. South coastline views can include the Point Arena Lighthouse, the beach and rugged coastline below. Hillside properties feature vista views of coastal mountains with pine and fir forests as backdrops.
The tiny hamlet of Elk is where the rugged beauty of the North Coast is the most exceptional. Characterized by sweeping vistas of majestic rock formations and bluff tops that are sprinkled with wildflowers, this village is a place of seclusion and tranquility.
Thousands of acres of farmland surround Elk to the north, east, and south. There are small inns, a couple of eateries, a country store, Catholic Church, art galleries and gift shops. The town has a population of about 275. Hiking, horseback riding, and Kayak tours are available.
Fort Ross, the southernmost settlement in the Russian colonization of the North American continent, was a thriving Russian-American Company settlement from 1812 to 1841. It was an outpost for sea otter hunters and a trade base.
Several other buildings have been reconstructed: the first Russian Orthodox chapel south of Alaska, the stockade, and four other buildings called the Kuskov House, The Officials Barracks, and two corner blockhouses.
The surrounding community of Fort Ross includes a lodge, a store, Fort Ross Elementary Scholl and a Volunteer Fire Department.
J.C. Conway first surveyed Ocean Cove under instructions from the US Surveyor General on October 18, 1860. It then bordered the southern edge of Rancho German, which is now Salt Point Park. At that time Fred and Anna Liebig, the first recorded owners, owned the property. The Liebigs had built the first home there in 1857 and they established a small store in 1860.
W.J. Walsh purchased the property on October 14, 1889. Mr. Walsh named it Walsh Landing. Timber was harvested in the surrounding area, then loaded from the bluffs onto “Dog Hole” schooners, and sent to San Francisco. The Columbia Movie Studio purchased the property in the early 1930s to make a movie. They built six cabins in back of the store to serve as living quarters. After the movie was completed they sold the property.
Today the cove and surrounding land is privately owned with the owners operating a campground with access to divers and other ocean enthusiasts. Ocean Cove Store provides groceries, firewood, sundries, and has gas pumps for campers and divers.
Approximately six miles inland on Highway 1 from the Sea Ranch and atop the first coastal mountain range, is the small community called Annapolis. The weather is warm in the summer with little or no coastal fog – a great climate for orchards, gardens and developing wineries.
A quiet and peaceful community, the local population hovers around 500. Annapolis provides one of the finest K-8 elementary schools in the area and is the home of Annapolis Winery, Starcross Monastery and several cottage industry businesses.